November 11, 2015

A silly list for NaNoWriMo writers

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo or NaNo) is here. I've done NaNo a couple of times and I still I think it's only half worth it. Half because it keeps you writing and keeps you going but at the same time, you kind of rush through it without always thinking. Your judgement may lapse a little because there really is not as much as time as you would like. It also makes you wonder the worth of your creative abilities or even if you have any in the beginning. At least, that was how I felt whenever I'm participating in NaNo.

I am not participating this year but I really do like the idea that people all over the world is writing their novel at the same time and even as I type this, someone has probably written a few thousands words by now. I'm glad for them. So I just thought I share these for you NaNo participants out there.

Things to say to get people off your back when you are writing :

01/ When asked what you are doing:
"Oh, just writing words from the dictionary."

02/ If caught taking a nap:
"I'm studying on how sleep or lack of, will affect my character's well being."

03/ If caught staring at a blank page:
"I'm contemplating how my characters will react when confronted with empty space."

04/ If caught staring at a blank computer screen:
"You have just caused me to erase my entire novel and now I will have to start all over again."
And look very, very frustrated as you say it.

05/ If asked where you get your ideas from:
"A while ago, I met a homeless kid carrying a rainbow-colored umbrella and talking about how the rain was making him crazy though it was very sunny that day. Then he handed me a flyer for fried chicken. I was hungry and so I went to the restaurant. When I got there, they only sold baked chicken and when I asked the owner why the flyer was not corrected, he mentioned that he recently had a heart operation and will no longer sell unhealthy food. His cousin had printed up the flyers and wouldn't change it for him without...  Before the owner could continue, he got hit in the head by a piece of chicken bone and then a crowd gathered and the owner was sent to the hospital and... What was the question again?"
Or tell some other weird story that goes in circles. And look very, very frustrated as you say it.

06/ When asked why you can't do housework:
"My character has a deep fear of housework and so I'm trying get into his psyche by doing the same. It helps me write."

07/ When asked if they can be a character in your novel:
"Sure, you can be the cross-dressing uncle who picks his nose and carries a Chia pet."

08/ When asked if they can read what you have written:
"Sure, can you read German?"
Or some language you are sure that person does not know.

09/ If someone pester you on what your novel is really about:
"Nothing much, just about people who ask too many questions and who ends up getting run over by really big cars, you know, a love story."
And smile sweetly at the person.

10/ If caught playing a video game or watching a movie or doing something other than writing:
"I'm doing research."

(Bonus because today is 11/11) 
11/ When asked if you're really writing a novel:
"No, I'm creating an index of words by rearranging them according to my taste and mood and how much I like cheese sandwiches. If I'm lucky, I can finish it at the end of November in which I'll get pay a few million bucks and then I'll be able to buy my own island and start writing that novel that I've been meaning to write. But I can't take you with me because annoying people who ask annoying questions are not allowed on my island."

This is just a silly list, so don't take them seriously. I mean it. Don't take them seriously. Seriously. Good luck writers!

2 comments:

  1. I've even supported some of the writers in the past, I think voted for one of them at one point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is good to support others and this is my write of supporting writers.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it. " -- Kurt Vonnegut