October 11, 2015

Revisions

As with any normal person, the need to perfect something is always there. So I am almost always wanting to redo a piece even though I am certain it is finished. I do all my final versions - mainly the colors - in Adobe Photoshop. The good thing about using software is that, you can make changes easily and the bad thing about it is that, you can make changes easily but also, you'll likely ended up doing more than you intended to do.  I suppose I could go on and on and keep on perfecting a piece but for some reason, I always seem to know when to stop. Well, some of the time anyway.

Here's a few pieces that has been redo a couple of times (click on the image for a larger view).

'duo' (at left), 'gift of three' (pencil drawing at center) and at right the final color version
For this piece, I've always thought the hands were a little too small for their bodies and I think the hands at the bottom didn't quite look right. So the new version is reversed and added something extra - presents. I think this version is the better one since it has more of a purpose though I think the hands are a little too small but that doesn't bother me much.

'rose wings' (first and second at left), 'not the rain girl' (third and at right)
The first version (rose wings) is slightly changed - the nose a little shorter, the hair a little longer, the body a slightly rounder. I think some people did not see the roses behind her as wings and so I made another version without them and renamed it 'not the rain girl,' which I dearly loved but then it occurred to me that I could redo it and so the last version is done in Adobe Illustrator with the original as the model. With Illustrator, I can make all the curves better and everything more refined. I changed the faces a little bit, perhaps she appeared a little less sad? I don't know. I like it.

'peacock girl'
For "peacock girl', this is drawn with a pencil and colored with water soluble color pencils and watercolors and edited in Photoshop.  I didn't really do much to change the original but a little erasing to reveal the shoulders and brighten of her face and hands. As I like to think she is changing into a peacock, there should be some part of her aside from her face, that is human.  I don't even know why I like this piece but I do and I think this is the only piece that I don't have any desire to redo.

10 comments:

  1. So interesting to see your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. sometimes I think there's really no process except the process of doing.

      thanks for coming by, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. interesting revisions, I wonder if you are a perfectionist Lissa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I suppose so, I think a lot of people are probably the same as me.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Oh, these process pictures are BEAUTIFUL, and so fascinating! I love these little insights into your drawings, thank you for sharing!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I too like seeing them all together. seeing the before and after is always a good way to see what might be wrong or what doesn't work.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I love to see the different stages of your work. And I absolutely understand how you feel, when I create something then I always feel the need to do some changes. Have a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is human nature is it not? I guess there is no harm in trying to perfect something as long as you don't obsess over it.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Interesting to see the different versions. They are all beautiful on their own.
    I often have to stop myself from making any more changes when I am painting. So I know what you are talking about ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people are like that - they can't help but try to perfect their creations.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it. " -- Kurt Vonnegut