October 22, 2015

Mini Thoughts on Films Watched: Mostly Bette Davis

Aside from books, I love a good film now and then. Like books, I do not write reviews so these are mini thoughts. And yes, there are spoilers.
01/ Cinderella
Cinderella is a gorgeous film and the special effects are made to good use but it has not become one of my favorite. You have two people following their dying parents' advices and that already seems kind of lame to me, as if Ella and Kit (the prince) could do nothing else but follow the advices given. Maybe they're a little too similiar - both lost their parents and both kind of don't have much plan about their life. Ella has her stepmother Lady Tremaine who somewhat controls her life and Kit has Count What's-his-face (sorry, can't remember the name) making plans behind his back. Ella and Kit do look good together but I still think Kit fell for Ella because of her beauty first and then her brain later, which I suppose that is how it is with fairytales because the characters rarely spend time together.

Lady Tremaine's sob story hardly make a dent to her character. At least to me. I don't even know why it's in the film. And I could not see her reasons for being cruel to Ella except maybe jealousy? But I suppose we have to have a villain and I guess she fits.

There are two things I'm still wondering about:
(A) If Ella wanted to stay in her house because her parents loved it so much, then why did she ended up in the castle and not live in her house? Or why there was no mention of what happened to the house? I suppose if you marry a prince, it's probably best not to go live in your old house where you've been nothing much but a slave and also it's plagued with painful memories. I guess Ella just wanted to move on?

(B) Why did Ella gave her name as Cinderella to the prince when it is clearly a degrading name made up by her stepsisters? Is she agreeing that she is ash and a servant? Shouldn't she said her name is Ella? I'm sorry, if someone gave me a name that not only degrades me but make me feel like a piece of trash, I don't think I want to own up to the name.

The character that I really like is not Ella but the godmother. She is such a fun lady and the little humor that is in the film mostly comes from her. To be honest, I would rather watch a movie about the godmother than Cinderella but the movie title is not 'Godmother' so...


02/ Twinsters
This is a documentary about two women finding each other. I'm not a fan of documentaries and would not even think to watch this but I saw the poster and watched the trailer and it was just one of those films that you get interest in but you're uncertain of why until you watch it. I don't know, I just find it amazing how two people could look so much alike. And isn't it just like the modern world for these two to find each other through the net?  I won't ever understand how it really feels to be adopted but I guess that's why these films gets made. This is definitely worth watching if you're a fan of twins. I would retitle this to 'the laughing twins' because they laughed a lot.

03/ San Andreas
This film is not so great but it was certainly entertaining enough. I would watch it again. The Rock (I just really like calling him that) aka Dwayne Johnson is always great to watch but his character in this film, Ray, didn't seem to have the fun, charismatic spirit that most of his films had. I just find Ray to be kind of dull and even though the back story does explain about his character's not-so-bright-spirit, it still feels like he is only half interested in what he was doing. I guess I was missing the humor and fun that usually accompanies most of the characters The Rock plays.

Basically, the movie is Ray (The Rock) and his ex-wife Emma (played by Carla Gugino) runs all over the place looking for their daughter Blake (played by Alexandra Daddario) during an earthquake. I would say Blake is overly smart and far too good at knowing what to do and didn't really need saving. I wouldn't worry about her unless she's ten but as expected (by me), she needed saving at the end. Is it just me or does disaster films have the parents always trying to find their kids that either are in another city or just far away from their parents for some trip that certainly did even need to happen at that time?

I could have done without the story about the dead daughter or the divorce but I guess you do need some drama or else there wouldn't have been a new boyfriend which by the way, I was certain he would get killed. Do you try to guess who gets killed while watching disaster movies? I don't do it but if I'm bore with the film, I would. You can't always tell and yet some characters you just wish would perish because they are so annoying.

04/ Final Descent
The story: the jet Lucky was piloting had a mid-air collision with a small plane and now he could not land the plane and could only ascend. This is better than most disaster films and I never once doubted they would not land the plane. I suppose I'm just a sucker for happy endings because I could see no other ending.

There is only thing that bothers me: When there was a fire in the cabin, the flight attendant just shouted into the phone to the captain about it. What I like to know is why did she just stood there watching the fire and not go looking for the fire extinguisher to put it out? Someone else - a passenger - had to ask her where the fire extinguisher was and he put out the fire. So what that the plane has water valves and such but still, shouldn't flight attendants know how to put out a fire? I'm just wondering.

05/ The Bride Came C.O.D.
A wacky, screwball comedy which I think they do not make enough of. Nothing much to say except I don't think I have ever seen Bette Davis more humorous than in this movie. I just wonder at James Cagney's grin - he seems to be enjoying himself a lot or maybe that's how he acts but I have not seen his other films so I cannot really judge. It's a fun film and I laughed a lot.

06/ A stolen life
I just love seeing Bette Davis playing twins. Actually, I pretty much like seeing any actor playing twins. It's just so much fun.

I guess I just did not agree with the ending - if I was Katie, I wouldn't accept Bill. After all, he went off and married her sister Pat so soon after meeting her. He left Katie heartbroken. Then he comes back for Katie after her sister's passing? It's almost as if he traded one twin for another because there was only one left.

At the end, how does he know she is Katie and not right away when he saw her again after Pat's passing? I suppose Katie (as Pat) giving an outburst about her having all those affairs and that he should be ashamed gave her away. Still, I suppose they wanted a happy ending and I guess I don't entirely disagree on it on second thought.

07/ Dead Ringer
You might say 'Dead Ringer' is like another version of 'A stolen life' as it has the same story line - one twin trades life with another but in this film, it was so much sadder. I do dislike people who lied to get what they want and Edith's twin Margaret did just that. All those what-if's really kills the joy out Edith. It is a drama and I didn't expect a happy ending but I just didn't think it was fair for Edith even if she was the one that killed her twin. I'm not saying she is right but sometimes when a person is desperate, they would do things that they would never thought they would ever do.  I guess Edith was just so desperate to get out of her poor life, she just did what she had to change it but it's still unfair.

I really do like watching twins on screen but I wouldn't want to see this film again. It's just too sad. But if you're a Bette Davis fan like I am, watch it.

Seen any good movies you would like to recommend?

17 comments:

  1. I loved that Cinderella movie, haven't seen the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, perhaps you should, they're a lot of fun to watch.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I've seen San Andreas, which I thought was just okay, not bad and not great. I haven't seen the Twinsters movie but did see them online in video clips about how they discovered each other and then met IRL - it give me goosebumps to think about how special their story is. I haven't seen the rest - you've been a very busy movie watcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not really all the busy watching movies, these are watched in a couple of months...

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. i think you could be hired as a question asker for Hollywood! You ask good questions that would make movies more believable. Now i want to see a movie about the Godmother and i have not even seen this version of Cinderella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe, I just pick odd things and focus on things I probably shouldn't focus on.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I love movies from the 40s and 50s but Bette Davis is not one of my fav actresses from that era. No denying she was talented and popular, just didn't find her acting appealing. Interesting reviews though Lissa, thanks for sharing your thoughts on these diverse films. Have a sweet weekend, G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bette davis is not the most likeable actress and I think not everyone would like her. I think I like her more because I have seen first before other actresses but she's not favorite, I'm more of an audrey hepburn fan.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. I'm a big fan of Audrey Hepburn, especially in Sabrina. Have you seen that one?

      Have a lovely weekend, G

      mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

      Delete
    3. I'm a big fan of Audrey Hepburn, especially in Sabrina. Have you seen that one?

      Have a lovely weekend, G

      mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

      Delete
    4. I think I've pretty much seen all of Audrey Hepburn's films, even the bad ones, though probably not the very early ones. I've seen Sabrina but my favorite is still Roman holiday.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Like Geraldine, I totally love movies from back in the 40s and 50s, and I did like watching Bette Davis movies as well as Fred Astaire and . Audrey Hepburn was amazing! Hugs..Ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there ever will be another Audrey Hepburn and that's why I think she will always be someone's new favorite.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. I... have not seen any of these films. Hmmm. I really need to start watching more movies, I think...
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe, though I cannot say if you're missing anything...

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. I have not watched any of those but have to check some of them out, I did not find time to watch movies recently. Which is kind of sad because I love movies. There is a German comedy I really want to see. I did not even watch a horror movies this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do & go see all the movies you want.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it. " -- Kurt Vonnegut