August 15, 2015

The secret life of a couch blogger

Maybe it's not so secret since I seem to blurt out things unexpectedly, you know, with posts like this one. Actually, I never sit on a couch when I blog but 'couch blogger' sounds better than 'chair blogger' don't you think?

Bloggers or at least bloggers like me, have tried to find the perfect way to create and maintain a blog or at least a blog that has readers and not just myself lazily reading my own blog. I have read many posts and articles and even some books about blogging and I have yet to find anything that really help except perhaps some tutorials but really, there is no perfect way nor any secret methods to blogging.  There is only the doing and the hoping that readers will just enjoy what you post without noticing any missteps or mistakes. At least, that is my hope.

Here are some things I do as a blogger that you may not know:

01/ I don't have a sidebar - I like my blog to be neat and organized so I don't really have a sidebar.  I don't think there is ever a way to organize a sidebar without having one or two items looking out of place. So I only have sidebar items some of the time for special post links or announcements.

02/ I read what I am going to post about a million times before actually posting them - There is a lot of spellchecking, reading, reading out loud, reading while trying to be sober, editing to remove unnecessary words, correcting grammars, re-reading and more re-reading, setting up a post and more re-reading and still, there are mistakes and that's why number 3 is needed. And if you ask me how long it takes to write a post, I would say a couple of days and sometimes a week or two if the post is particularly long.

03/ I edit/change/correct posts that had already been published
- if I see a mistake in a post, I would go and correct it and republish it even if it's a couple of months old. I don't think it's ever too late to make corrections plus people might be reading your archive and that's reason enough.

04/ I edit my photos a lot - I crop out things. I remove objects. I blur ugly spots. I even sometimes remove little bits of blur/shadow/edge of something from the corners of photos. Here's an example:
05/ I post just to cover another post - When I get embarrassed by something I posted or when I think what I posted was a bad idea, I quickly post something else in hopes that the reader had not caught that post and instead went onto the newest post. Once in a while, I might even delete that post.

06/ I don't use custom domains - I find it is not worth spending the money and I change urls far too many times to go around getting new domains every time I switch blogs. If people want to find me, they'll find me. I don't need a fancy address for them to look up.

07/ I don't check my stats  - I used to check the stats for my blogs to see who is reading and visiting my blog and how they got here but not anymore. It really does nothing for me plus I hate to see how badly my blog is doing so it's best not to even peek at it. I don't have a business blog nor do I make money off my blog so why bother with stats? I do want more readership but sometimes I think it's just not worth fussing over.

How about you? Do you secretly do something that you hope or wish your readers do not know or notice just to get your blog to some sort of standard or at least, keep readers around?

13 comments:

  1. your photo in number 4 is definitely improved! Once I posted something personal on my blog about a friend and thought...wow...what if she read that one day. So months later or maybe it was even a year later, I removed what I had said. It was maybe a paragraph, I believe I was gossiping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if we're too sensitive but it's better to delete than to worry about it.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful thoughts indeed, I edit and correct post too If I find errors later on. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is always a good idea to make corrections when you can, you never know what people might be reading...

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. This was interesting to read. I am very much like you in many of these things. The other day I saw in my stats (which alas I do check sometimes) that loads of people were reading an old post from my archives of about two years ago. So I read it - and was horrified by the awful grammar! I had to quickly edit it as best as I could and from now on will be extra careful. Mind you, it doesn't really matter how careful I am, or how often I edit before publishing, mistakes always slip through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is kind of hard to spot mistakes for your own writing, I guess that is why having an editor is probably useful in these manners but sadly, bloggers don't have editors...

      thanks for stopping by, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. note that i am in a fun mood here:
    " reading while trying to be sober"
    do you have a nice drink afterwards? ;-)

    I post just to cover another post :
    when you post fast i will be sure to read the previous post, for fun now. ;-)

    i check my stats about twice a year - but i usually do not remember them the previous time, so it does not have much impact on me.

    fun and interesting post Lissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes if I read something too often, I get a little hazy and have to sober up my mind hence the statement but hey, a drink could be nice to soothe out the haze...

      it is very easy to forget your stats even if you read them in the same day, I know I do when I used to read them...

      thanks for stopping by, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. You sure do a lot of work Lissa! :)
    I do too sometimes :))
    But the most important thing to get
    readers and WRITERS is to go out
    visit other peoples blogs and do leave
    a (nice) comment over there. :)
    Readings stats won't be of any help
    on that one :))
    I like that " trying to stay sober" :))
    After I read it the second time I got
    what you've meant :D

    Have a beautiful Sunday!
    Möwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish I would comment more often but sometimes I get lazy and forgetful.

      thanks for stopping by, have a great day.

      Delete
  6. When we blog, we really put ourselves out there, so I appreciate your honesty about what many of go through on a daily basis. Thanks for the shout out and by the way, I really like your blog and the things you post. Hope your day is as special as you are! Hugs...Ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one doing the work, blogging can become like work if we don't stop and enjoy what we have put out there.

      thanks for stopping by, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. Such an interesting post! Thanks for sharing! When I find an error in an old post then I correct it as well. You are right, it is never too late. Also, I don't check my stats either. I did it at the beginning just because I was curious but no I do not bother anymore. I often start writing posts because I have an idea but then never publish the post.

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it. " -- Kurt Vonnegut