June 22, 2015

Seven Things & Taking photographs in my dreams

taken at Battery Park, NYC, 2008
01/ Sometimes I take photos in my dreams. There was a dream where I was sitting with someone in some outdoor place and I looked out and there was yellow everywhere. There was the cabs, the clothes that the people wore, some flowers, maybe a tree or two, the rest was kind of fuzzy but they were all in a bright, golden yellow.  I took my camera out and started clicking the shutter while moving the camera from left to right, a panorama of sorts. It was a beautiful feeling.

02/ I do a lot of mental blogging. I think about things to blog but I never seem to remember them later on. I guess it would be nice to write them down but I don't seem to remember to do that either.


03/ Do you feel rejected when you visit someone's blog and leave a lot of comments and they never even come once to your blog? Sometimes I do but mostly I kind of forget about it or ignore it. I just hope for those that visits here a lot and leave lots of kind words, don't feel rejected if I don't visit their blog or leave comments. Sometimes I do visit but I leave no words - there's just aren't anything I want to say, that is, nothing that I think are worth saying.


04/ I'm an anti-social media blogger. Okay, not entirely true but it seems to be true. I've avoided joining Facebook. I've quitted Twitter a long time ago. I've quitted Pinterest a few months ago.  I guess I can't really join Instagram as I have no smart phone or iphone or ipad, not that I wanted to anyway. I'm also thinking of quitting bloglovin' as you need to sign in/sign up to view even a single post of someone's blog. I don't use bloglovin' for reading blogs but on occasions I click on 'Similiar Blogs' to see other blogs that I might be interest in. (And let's not mention the whole sign in/sign issue because I keep thinking how is a person suppose to protect themselves from identity theft if they have to sign in/sign up for every little thing?)

05/ Re-reading books is great but I guess there's a chance I might miss great books just because I'm reluctant to read new ones. It's a vicious cycle really. Either I read the same books that I love or I read new books that I might just end up hating.


06/ It is known or so I think it's known: Publishers would not publish your stories/writings if they appeared in a blog first.  Whatever you posted on your blog is considered published. So why do people still chase the dream of being a published writer? It's probably because it is not the same. Sure, you can print out a story and read it that way but it's still not the same. Not to me anyway. So I don't think I should post any more stories just for that reason but it's still undecided. It's not very likely I'll ever get anything publish. I mean, I couldn't even finish writing most of the stories I started anyway. (Update: This seems to be only half-true, but you know, most people, publishers mainly, would probably prefer new material).

07/ I don't actually remember people well but I remember moments and here's one from a few years ago:


It was the middle of rush hour and I was getting out of a train. Okay, maybe it's more like people were pushing me from behind.  Somehow my face got pressed against this man's shirt. It was really soft like I've just fallen against a pillow. There was this scent of fresh soap and I thought, how nice.  I looked up at his face for maybe two seconds. He didn't seem particularly angry. He just calmly looked at me and I think he smiled. He turned or perhaps I did. He was inside the train and I was out of it. Then the train left the station and that was that.

I don't remember his face now, only the scent of fresh soap and the soft fabric of his shirt. I don't know why I should remember that moment and not the others. It's nothing romantic, it's just a moment of quietude, I guess. Such moments are rare these days as everyone's rushing all the time and there's a crowd everywhere. I suppose it's hard to find those good moments where you don't feel overwhelm or full of destinations and schedules you have to keep.

10 comments:

  1. I love this post. I too am an anti-social blogger, and also don't always leave comments or go to see the blogs of all who have left me comments - I sometimes feel bad but it's about having to choose priorities for my precious free time I guess. But I wanted to say I enjoyed this very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I agreed, you get to choose how you spend your time and if you can't and don't want to visit someone's blog, it's entirely okay.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know number 6, makes sense I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it really depends on the publisher but it's half true. I guess some publishers just like having new material.

      anyway, thanks for your visit. have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. 1. I do this too! Actually its a recurring nightmare of mine that I come across a perfect photographable thing and my shutter won't operate.

    2. I do this too.

    5. Definitely agree! Infact I open re-read just sections of books I love, just scenes which involve characters I love.

    6. This isn't entirely true. I've heard it said that publishers won't republish blogposts for a book, but then again there are people who *have* published books which are drawn largely from their blogposts. And I can testify that print magazines will definitely republish your blogposts, as this happened to me.

    7. What a wonderful story! I love it. This is what I love best about your stories - beautiful romantic glimpses, like photographs, into other lives.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1 - I had that happened to me all the camera, I guess it's not a real problem not since I don't carry my camera with me all the time. actually, I do have a lots of dreams where I take great photos but sadly, none of them are true.

      maybe #6 is only half true, I'm sure some publishers are very pickly about this but hey, it's not like I have to worry about this.

      #7 - I like it too and I guess that is why I still remember today.

      thanks for stopping by, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. i enjoyed reading your Seven.
    so interesting, i don't remember taking photos in dreams, I would think that i would have.
    i so enjoyed reading number 7. i think that might be something i would remember too. i like that you paused and were comfortable in what could have been awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there really wasn't anything else to do at that moment but stop and wait. I'm glad I still remember it as I'm very bad at remembering things.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic post, Lissa! I love learning more about you so much! Thank you for sharing! I love to re-read books. There are some books I have read more than ten times. Sometimes I feel like I need to read those again and then I just do it instead of starting new ones. But the old ones make me feel so good that I don't want to miss that feeling! Have a lovely weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is what so great about books, they make you feel something even when you sometimes don't want to.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it. " -- Kurt Vonnegut