June 18, 2015

Get to know your fellow blogger: Sarah

This week's blogger is: Sarah from Knitting the Wind
[ Part I: About blogging ]
01/ How many blogs do you have that are currently active?
Just the one.

02/ What is your blog about? Do you have a tag line?

My tag line is "writing from the edge of the world." But it's hard to define what I write about - really just whatever drifts into my heart on the day.

03/ Is your blog a reflection of you or just a place for your creative/personal outlet?
I think it would be difficult to separate the two, as my creativity comes through me and so to some degree will always reflect me. But having said that, I mostly keep my personal self out of my writing.

04/ How did you come up with the name for your blog?
Many years ago I would sit in the lounge of my tree-high house and look out in reverie on the misty hills surrounding me. There was one house whose light in the night always drew me in to fancies about who might live there. I imagined an old woman knitting stories from the wind on long bone needles. And so I called my weblog Knitting the Wind. Many times I've wanted to change that name, especially as I get so many visitors looking for knitting patterns and yarn information, but it has stuck.

05/ Do you have a blogroll or a reading list of your favorite blogs? If not, then what blogs do you like reading?
I don't have a public blogroll. I get too anxious that, if I accidentally leave anyone off, they will be hurt. But I have my own private list. Mostly I like reading the weblogs of dreamers, gypsy spirits, mythic writers, and old friends whose sites I have been reading for years.

06/ What category or categories do you think your blogs falls under? For example: a book blog, a cooking blog, an art blog, etc. OR simply just a blog?
I've always wanted to fit it into a category, but it defies doing so.

07/ Do you have a blogging schedule or do you post any time you like?
Whenever I feel like it.

08/ Do you use a blog template (brought or free from the net) or do you design your own blog?
I design my own, building it up from the foundation of the simple blogger template.

09/ List 3 things that you always have on your blog.
There's never an "always" with my weblog!

10/ What advice did you wish someone had given to you when you first started blogging?
You never know what may happen in your life over the years; for example, your concerns around privacy may change. For example, the child whose potty training you document with photographs (not that I ever did this!) may grow up to become a public figure haunted by his mother's blogging. Your own views may change. The size of your audience may grow beyond your expectations, so that your personal musings spread out of your comfort zone.

[ 
Part II: About the blogger ]
01/ Do you have any nicknames? Or what name do you go by? And do you prefer it more than any other?
Sarah is my online name. I regret choosing it as it doesn't really reflect my personality, but it's too late to change it now. I don't have any nicknames.

02/ As a writer, do you write with an idea from the start or do you just start writing and the story comes as you write?
I start writing and the story reveals itself. Sometimes I have a vague idea of what shape it may ultimately take - for example, with Deep in the Far Away, I always knew where the characters came from. In another example, The Birds of Wicker Lake, I found out halfway through what the ending would be, but I didn't know who it involved until I wrote the sentence naming them. I consider myself a conduit through which the story comes, so I give it as much opportunity as possible to express itself authentically.

03/ What is the one book that you love that you would recommend to just about everybody?
Oh, such a hard question! There are so many wonderful books! In the end though I'd have to go with Robert Frost's poetry.

04/ Do you have a favorite item or items that you often use and would not wish to live without?
My fine-rimmed tea cup. It's just the right size.

05/ List 7 of your favorite things.
My family, the wind, rain, forested hills, books, cardigans, night.

06/ When are you most creative/productive? The morning, the afternoon or night or just about any time?
Night.

07/ What are some of your favorite hobbies that doesn't involve writing?
Reading, gazing into the wild distance.

08/ Draw, write, photograph or use any form of communication something that represents you in some way: 

17 comments:

  1. 'knitting the wind' is one of my favorite phrase and I've always thought it's poetic and very fitting for a writing blog. the phrase just makes me think of old stories set in faraway places and how they wind their way to people's mind and even hearts. sounds kind of lame but that's what I think.

    I've been following Sarah's weblogs for awhile and I've always admired and still admire her writings and her writing styles. they provoke otherworldly feelings and even makes one believe anything can happen. I kind of wish I can write like her.

    it's already friday where sarah is even though it's still thursday where I am so I'm kind of glad I decided to post these on thursdays instead of fridays. isn't it odd how time zones makes it seem like she's in the future and I'm in the past? it makes it seems like all things are possible.

    thank you, sarah, for doing this interview and I hope to read more of your books and writings in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet Sarah...and great blogging advice, I think I am too personal...especially in the early years when I thought I was writing into a vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that too but one cannot blog without inputting some part of us in it.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much Lissa for your lovely kind words, and for including me in this series. You are one of the writers who has inspired me along the way, I love your poetic spirit and magical view of the world. It's an honour to be mentioned on your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just glad you said yes. thank you. and thanks for all those wonderful comments even though I don't visit you as much.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I really LOVED this interview. I feel "sarah's" gypsy spirit just in the answers to your questions, Lissa. going to her site was well worth the trip to find not only such wistful musings but also wonderful photography.

    thank you for the find. I especially love her Pinterest account and have started to follow. Creamy indeed. thank you, Lissa, and thank you, Sarah! Wonderful stuff.

    BTW, her blog name is fantastic. Loved what she wrote here: "I imagined an old woman knitting stories from the wind on long bone needles."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah's one of the few blogs that I have been following since I started blogging and she's such a wonderful writer.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. "I've always wanted to fit it into a category, but it defies doing so." I have always loved that about Sarah and about her blog. And that she is always truly writing from the edge of the world, where the seasons and days are backwards from mine. A bit through the looking glass. I can see her holding that tea cup.

    Wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I also lived on the other side of the world with opposite seasons and Sarah's blog certainly feel like being there in her world.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. Knitting the Wind has always been one of my most favorite blogs, always a treat to read, and Sarah is a dear friend. I loved reading this interview. Great questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agreed with you, her writings is just wonderful and a great treat to read.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this interview with Sarah. It has illuminated some things, which I didn't know before. :-)

    We both have a blogging 'name.' Neither of us, has a public 'blog roll.' We both design our own blogs.

    I admire her so, that it's quite nice, to share some aspects, with her.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like that Sarah and I have some things in common, you know, I think most of us have one or two things in comment no matter how different we are.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. Another fascinating interview. Thank you so much for sharing. Books are definitely amongst my favorite things as well. I would never want to live without books. I love the blog name by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, 'knitting the wind' is a great name. I've often wished I have thought of it.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  9. thank you for this lovely interview.
    i so enjoy Sarah's blog and what she shares.
    such a wonderful photo to portray some aspect of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah's photos are just as wonderful as her writing, in fact, she always has such beautiful photos to accompany her posts.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it. " -- Kurt Vonnegut